Draft of Report for Connections Group
Group Members: Christine Draper, Amanda Judd, Martha Lask, Ann McNeal, Daphne Lowell, Marjorie Huebner, Sox Sperry and Elizabeth Reid
Our Image: We want to extend the Community Long Circle to the web. The center circle consists of all kinds of configurations of movers such as indivuals practicing alone,dyads and peer groups or lead groups moving together. A small opening in the circle allows outer witness to see in and come in. The next layer out circle holds the common witness who watch over the safety of the inner circle. A larger opening allows the outside to see in and ask questions. The keepers answer questions and outwardly give information and seek to bring new people into the circle.See article in A Moving Journal Volume 5 #3.
Another image was one of pebbles in a pond that create overlapping circles every expanding outward. The movers are witnesses and keepers who maintain the integrity and privacy of the practice, people who practice, but also reach out to the world. Unlike the community long circle which is a public event this image is of a web site with private places where the public can't see in and public outreach where there is visibility and outreach.
We left our discussion with a feeling of excitement and satisfaction. One participants summarized it this way:
I guess what I felt was
very excited about the clarity of people wanting to keep us all
connected, concerned about keeping the feeling of AM/integrity present
in cyber space, and how we wanted our diversity represented. I felt
held by the presence of folks at the meeting...."
Summary:
1. We want to have a way to be connected to all outlying places in the world. We want a way to connect AM practioners, to announce workshops and events, share thoughts about the practice, perhaps even publish papers on AM and more.
2. We want both private and public cyber realm presence that is as safely contained as possible, knowing that nothing is air tight.
3. We want a web/internet presence to integrally reflect the values and ethos of the practice.
4.We want to use technological innovations.
5. We propose funding of some kind, for example through dues/subscriptions/tithes on individuals,peer groups or others? web site membership? or other fundraising efforts?
6. We want to be aware and sensitive of political concerns of our community, especially inclusivity and diversity.
7.We suggest this be an always forming web presence, that continually invites, where things are not set in stone, and we always pay attention to outreach.
8. We wish also for the hard copy and privacy of a directory of practitioners.
9. We suggest developing a private internal to the community (such as this site and exchange) Blog---to discuss developing a public web site.
10. We image this Web presence for the "collective" AM community. Many of us like the name "The Collective AM Community." (A few from the larger group came up to say that do not like the name "collective." An alternative suggestion was " The AM Gathering.")
11. We want a web designer (ideally from within the AM community). We want tenders (witnesses and responders to help this ongoing process) and contributors for funding and content.
12. There was also discusson about: the value of printed media for articles and other writings, of digital video etc; ideas about a web site could have blogs within it for discussions about specific topics, of pdf for flyers, documents that could be printed from a web site.
Large Meeting Response and Concerns:
Concern was expressed that we also continue to use a paper and ink, black and white forms of communication.
An offer was made to use mail for anyone who needs to get information that way.
Concern was express that the web draws people away from their bodies and into their minds and finger tips. The question was raised as to how a web presence could invite people into their bodies.
Concern was expressed that some have old antiquated computer systems where only very simple web sites come up. Could our web presence be simple and easily accessible to all?
Volunteers to tend and witness the ongoing process:
The following people offered to be tender/ witnesses attending to the ongoing process of developing a web presence:
Karen Kornhauser, Ann McNeal, Allison Buck, Donna Blank, Elizabeth Reid, Patrizia Pallaro, Amanda Judd and Christine Draper.
Michael Gardos Reid and Christine Draper offered to revise the directory. Daphne Lowell volunteers to help Michael and Christine with ideas about how to store and make use of directory info…databases and stuff.
Gennie Brukner and Martha Lask know web designers who might be sensitive enough for our web design.
Amanda Judd has volunteered to help with the web design.
Patrizia Pallaro has sent information about a socially aware site that does web hosting for not for profits. Here is a link for anyone who would like to check it out: http://www.thinkhost.com/infrastructure/ For more information check her comment in the comment section below.

20 Comments:
Elizabeth--some first reponses:
- This is clean and clear.
- Christine also volunteered on directory (not to be a solo this time!)
- I'm thinking to expand point 1 to explain more--to interconnect AM practitioners, announce events and workshops, share thoughts about the practice, and do many things AMJ has done, plus more. Maybe rationalize cyber idea as most feasible.
Another question I have is about the funding and how it is directed. I know you're involved in CD funding efforts. Is CD going to be the funding entity for the AM connections effort? This would be new for both. I just think it will need to be clear at some point.
Great work!!
Ann
Elizabeth,
Thanks for your quick and concise work on this. I have just a few edits.
4. We want to use (not us)
5. Substitute tithes for taxes
10. Might is be some in the larger group? I did not see many opposing this
language.
Gratitude, Sox
Sox,
Thanks for your quick response. I revised the mistakes. And I revised my comments on the "collective. " Afterward a few people came up to me and said that collective connotes workers collective to them. I revised my comments to reflect this a bit more specifically. I do like the word collective myself. Maybe "collection" ... hard to find a word that resonates with everyone... that is for sure. I enjoyed meeting you and sharing that discussion time together.---Elizabeth
Thanks to Sox and Ann for getting back to me. I have added their thoughts to the draft and left them here in comments for all to see.
Dear Elizabeth,
I was wondering if anyone stepped in/out to be in charge of cybernetic matters. I was thinking about purchasing the domain name (AuthenticMovementGathering.info) and with that there is the possibility of purchasing web hosting services.
My web hosting company is a very reasonable one and most importantly, ThinkHost is a progressive hosting company supporting positive social change & earth-friendly, green business (see below for a special arrangement for community groups).
www.ThinkHost.com
http://www.thinkhost.com/socialchange/
Are you a member of a club or community group?
ThinkHost assists many community organizations with free or discounted hosting as part of our commitment to social responsibility!
While many groups approach us directly for sponsorship, we also welcome referrals via our clients - in fact, we strongly encourage it!
Are you involved with a community group? Make mention of ThinkHost to the committee! Learn more about our discounts and free hosting initiative
Community organizations can also generate revenue through our fundraising opportunity!
I would like if we all could think about selecting this company for the AM community web hosting needs. What do you think? Let me know. It was a pleasure meeting you, Patrizia
Patrizia,
This looks great, but we have no money yet and I am not sure how we would make a decision. At this point I am being the point person to collect people interested in being part of the process that makes this happen and I am collecting information we will need. So I will save this information about this web hosting possibility. Would you like to be part of the group that watches over the process?
--Elizabeth
Reply from Patrizia
Sure, I'll be happy to be involved in this, although I am not very knowledgeable on the topic beyond my own web-related experience. My hosting company is not too expensive, I think I can offer to cover for the first year. What we need is someone who can do web stuff and create a site. Money to keep the operation going (assuming that some people will volunteer time) could be raised through 1) membership dues (now that AMJ no longer exists, for example, I would be happy to use that subscription money for membership in the Collective or Gathering or . . .) 2) sales of AM related stuff (do not know quite what . . .) 3) other fundraising events (of the kind Tom Webb mentioned)
I look forward to have more rounds of this. I know Alton will come back next week. I will leave on the 10th for six weeks overseas, but I will be reachable by e-mail, although my replies may not be quite prompt.
Until next time, Patrizia
Elizabeth,
I went to comment on your report on the blog. I made these comments and
then couldn't figure out how to sign up!
This is where I melt down. I tried to sign up for the blog and couldn't
figure out why when I signed up as a blogger I needed to name a blog
next - then tried to find the name of the blog and didn't know where to
go, so I didn't continue. Can you give me advice? Blogs have confused
me in the past and this is the part that can be hard for me and probably
other computer users who aren't very saavy. Once I get on I'll probably
be fine!
I said in my comments. Thanks for being so prompt with the report! I
felt you communicated well all that we said, except the feeling at the
meeting. This is what is hard about cyber space. Could the feeling be
communicated? Could you speak for the group?! I guess what I felt was
very excited about the clarity of people wanting to keep us all
connected, concerned about keeping the feeling of AM/integrity present
in cyber space, and how we wanted our diversity represented. I felt
held by the presence of folks at the meeting....
Thanks,
Marjorie
Marjorie,
I changed the up front instructions to suggest that people sign in Anonymously. If you sign in as blogger the assumption is you have your own blog already, as other they will suggest you begin a blog. Anonymously you can comment and just sign your first name. I am adding your email to the comments as well as your statement of concern is well written. I am not sure how to write it up better or how to address it exactly. I was left with that need to consider how to be a container in the cyber realm... how to express the heart of being together.--Elizabeth
Elizabeth,
Elizabeth,
Thanks for the very clear summary of our meeting. It seems as if your idea
to have a discussion about a web site take place on a blog is already
happening.... Brava!
Best
Martha
Amanda,
Yes, this is exactly what we are doing here. Just using the blog to refine the report to Mary Ramsey for July 10th. However in the process great new thinking has emerged and new offers of help. Thank you for your offers to help. I will add you to the tenders list and as a possible volunteer web designer.
So our first step will be to report this out to the larger community and see what the response back from that is. Then I will figure a way for all the tenders of the process to meet either on line or in a conference call or in person, so we can "move" into how things can get decided. I will let everyone know when we send our final report out to Mary Ramsey.--Elizabeth
Re; the use of collective,
I am ok with either.
the one i don’t care for is “the authentic movement collective” but
still not sure we have the right name yet. both of the above seem to
more refer to our internal networking place, not so much the home page
that wld include both the internal to the community stuff and the
outward reaching stuff. hmmmm. will keep thinking about a name…I can also volunteer to help Michael and Christine with ideas about how
to store and make use of directory info…databases and stuff. Also, to clarify someone’s question on the blog… Is CD going to be the
funding entity for the AM connections effort? Not sure what we are
picturing here. Maybe: Are we able/willing to be the
funnel/treasurers? I don’t know…
Thanks Eliz for volunteering to tackle all this! Doing a really great
job. Thanks.
Daphne
Hi Elizabeth
not sure how to post this on the blog, so thought I'd send it to you
Hi Everyone,Christine here
Thank you Elizabeth for getting the ball rolling so quickly and effectively with this blog. Thank you all for the many supportive and practical comments and corrections. Bearing in mind the important questions raised re incorporating the ethos, values, language and the heart of this practice and the importance of the name of the web-site, I would like to thank Patrizia for her generous offer to pay for the first year's web fees. ThinkHost.com looks an interesting possibility, while Amanda's suggestion of beginning the process of creating a web-site
sounds promising. As a frequent user of web-sites and someone who likes beautiful yet simple and accessible sites, I would be interested in commenting on any up-coming prototypes.
Eagerly looking forward to the next step.
Happy Independence Day to you all on the 4th.
Christine
Christine,
Your comments remind me that tow prototype web sites were given to me during the weekend to check out as possible models. I also think we should make sure we don't reinvent the wheel and check whether anyone is already doing something like we want to do. The first web site is quite fancy:
http://www.artheals.org/
The second one has simple elegance:
http://ascasupport.org
Check them out to see what you think.
Elizabeth
Response from Christine
Hi Elizabeth,
thank you for posting my comment and your response.
I really appreciate you sending me the 2 links - thank you.
I totally agree with you re not wanting to re-invent the wheel.
I'm familiar with the http://www.artheals.org/ and think it's visually very appealing and the lay out is accessible. However, I'm not too keen on the fancy inro - more to go wrong, probably more expensive to set up & maintain and less accessible for people with dial up service. Also, I was unable to exit it by pressing the back arrow.
I agree that the second one does have simple elegance. http://ascasupport.org. However, I think perhaps we need something a little more professional looking.
Are you familiar with the work of John O' Donohue - his is one of my favourite sites http://www.johnodonohue.com/
Simple, functional/accessible and aesthetically appealing.
Another site of interest might be http://www.labyrinthsociety.org/
Then of course there's various AM sites e.g. http://www.authenticmovement-usa.com/
Hope this helps and doesn't confuse. Really looking forward to getting a site up and running.
I really enjoyed meeting you and hope we get to have a week 2 together!
Christine
Christine,
Many interesting things about the web sites you mention. One thing that jumped out at me from the Labyrinth Society web page is that their membership (Cost $50) is required to be part of the member directory. It had not occurred to me to link directory membership to funding perhaps of the web site. Their list of member benefits is informative.
One of the things said at our group discussion was that setting up a web site could be a full time job. This seemed to me an exaggeration at the time but as we progress I see more possibilities for it taking lots of time.--Elizabeth
Elizabeth
This is an intriguing idea. Does anyone have Michael's e-mail address as I would like to include him in this discussion and ask for his input re his experiences with the directory he compiled and his thoughts re the future.
Christine
Christine,
I will send you Michael's email by email. I have sent our report to Mary Ramsay and it includes opening up the discussion to the larger group that attended our weekend.
--Elizabeth
To: Alison Buck
Subject: after thoughts
Alison,
I just finished reading your interview in "A Moving Journal".... so
inspiring to hear the details of the integration of two approaches to
healing. To me the article informs this challenge of bringing an authentic
movement presence to the web. I am sitting with the question of integrating
this mind/finger exercise with embodiment.
I looked at the web site you suggested to me and I agree that is has a
simple elegance. Another web site was also suggested to me as a model:
http://www.artheals.org/start.html I wonder if you would mind looking at it
on your system. I think it is quite elaborate. Maybe beyond an older
computer's capacity.
What do you think?
--Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for your note, and for reading and reflecting on my interview in AMJ.
The experience I shared about in the interview has been among the most
inspiring things for me to have had. Likewise, doing the interview with
Anne has been a most energizing and joyful experience for me. So, I am very
glad to communicate about it with the others who have related/similar
interests.
I would agree with you that communicating about embodied experience is
tremendously challenging. It is the experience itself that is the thing --
not the words that are shared about the experience, be they transmitted in
print, auditorially, or even visually. So, I am thinking that the internet
as a medium has many limitations inherent in communicating ABOUT the thing,
but not able to convey the thing itself. I took a look at the artheals.org
web site. The loading time for my dial-up connection was somewhere around a
minute or so; so that's probably not the best if the goal is to peak the
interest of those who have little or no knowledge of AM. I also found its
design to be laborious, there was lots of text to wade through in places,
and lots of different spots to click, and then have to wait awhile, just to
find out I was not interested in that page. On a different note, having an
Authentic Movement web site link FROM a site like that might not be a bad
idea.
I am basically thinking along the lines of the following question: What are
the things that could have an effect of touching people, and how can they be
presented most effectively in the internet medium? One answer that comes to
me is that outcomes of the "creative forming" have the potential to do
this -- especially if they are able to be conveyed directly...elegance was a
word you used -- I like that.
I hope these thoughts are helpful.
Best regards,
Alison
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for the link to the blog. I see lots of interest, and interesting &
thoughtful ideas being expressed there. I echo thanks and praise to you and
to all, for what's already going on. My connection via your link was just
fine, quick and all that. I had one very small thought regarding any name
that might be adopted for a web site, and that is simply that it leave out
the article "the" so that it does not sound like it is 'the' only one. (If
an article is needed, "a" or "an" would work fine!) One other tiny thing is
that I spell my name with only one L in it. Thanks again for keeping me
posted. Glad I can be of help.
Best regards,
Alison
Greetings AM connection makers,
Michael Gardos Reid here saying I'm keeping this subject in mind and want to help a community web site succeed in providing basic info on people, events and other collective activities (writing, videomaking).
A techy buddy here in Minneapolis said getting free hosting as a blog (on Google for instance)could be a permanent solution. The site could have limited access as to updates so tenders would be the ones to add new addresses or events while anyone on the web could open and see the information gathered.
What this would look like presentationally and how easy it would be to find are still unclear.
My original attempt at a directory was limited by my lack of contacts in some communities. I imagine a more collective person to person reaching out could get a more inclusive listing of the community as a whole.
Even so many found connections they need. There are still people e-mailing me to see if I know anyone doing the form in so and so a town. So let's keep forward motion in mind lest we wait forever for the perfect plan.
Michael Gardos Reid
Friday July 14th 2006
Hi Everyone,
Christine here again. Just want to say welcome to both Alison and Michael for joining us and posting thoughtful and illuminating observations and suggestions.
Both of you echo the concerns put forward by Marjorie and others, that any website needs to somehow communicate the heart of the practice of AM.
Alison, your idea to post outcomes of creative formings is, I think, worth pursuing. As is your point that we need to avoid using "the" as this might suggest this as the one way. I also agree with your observations re complicated websites like artsand healing, and your suggestion that links from such sites would be beneficial.
Michael, I think you've underlined the need to have a site for "collective creative activities" and that a blog seems ideal for the this. From your comments re the directory, it also seems that a simple, elegant site which provides "basic info"- what Daphne calls "nush-nush" is also vital, and that the directory would be part of this. You also helpfully remind us that while it's important to pursue excellence, we need to be mindful of the danger of perfectionism, and therefore, it's important to continually try to go forward.
Bearing all of the above in mind, particularly that no plan is perfect, would it be timely to start thinking about how we fund such a venture? While a blog is generally free, a web site is not. Patrizia has graciously offered to fund the first year of a web site.
However, we need money to set up the web site and have a webperson to run it.
Would this be a good time to ask the wider community what they think of Elizabeth's idea that we fund the directory and web site for posting info such as AM events, by directory members paying a yearly fee? While a flat fee of $50 was mentioned, perhaps
we could have a sliding scale according to income?
Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts and feelings.
Christine
Post a Comment
<< Home